Sunday, April 15, 2007

Being in a suit for over 24 hours

I don't recommend ever wearing a suit for more than 12 hours at a time. I don't normally mind wearing suits, and I know that I'm about to embark on a career journey that will have me in suits on a pretty regular basis. But last Friday I was in a suit for literally 24 hours straight. Let's just say it got a little uncomfortable.

I woke up in Hoboken, New Jersey at my friend's place at around 6am. I showered and put on my suit, and he dropped me off near Rockefeller Center, where I had my interview later on that day. The interview went well, and I took the subway back to New Jersey, where I immediately hopped in my car to drive all the way back to Richmond, Virginia.

The reason I had to get back that day, and the reason I didn't change out of the suit: Adcenter Prom was that night.

Adcenter Prom is a great idea. Take all the drama and logistics involved from high school prom out, and leave the part about getting dressed up, crowning a King and Queen, and consuming alcohol. That's Adcenter Prom. It's so much fun that I was willing to leave NYC at 3pm on a Friday and forego a pretty fun weekend in the city to be back by around 10:30 to catch the last 2 hours of prom.

So I drove the whole way, and surprisingly didn't hit too much traffic, except for the DC Beltway. I got back by around 10:15 and literally didn't even go home. I went straight to prom in my suit. Prom was a really good time, but surprisingly, there was an extra keg of beer at 1am when it was over. Translation: after party. So instead of going to bed, I went to the after party, still in my suit. We had so much fun, that all of a sudden I looked at my watch, and it was 5:45 in the morning! What?? I've been up for 24 hours!! I haven't done this since my undergrad days!

And guess what: I'm still in my suit. I finally went to bed around 6:30am, and slept like a baby. It was a great day followed by a great night. But seriously: I don't recommend being in a suit for 24 hours straight.

Also, how weird is it that a guy can wear the same clothes to a job interview and a graduate school prom and be dressed perfectly for both occasions?? Hmm...

No comments: