Monday, June 25, 2007

Learning how to deal with the red eye...

So after the craziness of Vegas, most of my friends got to go home, take a sick day or two, and then try to physically recover themselves enough to make it back to work. I, on the other hand, being still a recent grad in the job hunt (the optimist's way of saying "unemployed"), had to experience the craziest week of travel in my life.

We left Vegas at noon PST on Monday, flew to Denver, sat there feeling hungover for a while, waited for our delayed flight, and then continued on to Northern Virginia. By the time I got my bags and had my parents pick me up, it was 2:30am EST, I had flown almost 3000 miles, and I passed out in my childhood bed at home within seconds of hitting the pillow. But there's no rest for the weary.

I woke up around 1pm EST on Tuesday, packed some nice clothes, and got in the car with my Dad to go back to Dulles Airport! That's right, I had a job interview. In LA! My plane was delayed 3 hours during thunderstorms (got a crucial nap in the terminal), but I finally flew out of Virginia and landed in California around 11pm PST, where I once again passed out very quickly.

I interviewed all day Wednesday in LA, and somehow, even though I hadn't felt that tired in a very long time, the interviews went really well! They gave me a tour of LA after my interviews, and then I got back on a red eye flight at 9pm PST to head back to Dulles again! Another 3000 miles later, my parents picked me up again, this time at 6am EST on Thursday morning.

But there was still one more leg of my ridiculous traveling. Luckily, I was at least done with the time changes. I woke up at 2pm EST on Thursday in Virginia, packed my bag with nice clothes one more time, and got on a train. Yet another job interview. In New York! I got into Penn Station at 10pm, took a train out to Hoboken and crashed on my buddy Brent's couch.

Friday morning, I got up, got ready for my interview, and then commuted in from Jersey into Midtown Manhattan. Somebody up above must like me, because once again, the interviews went really well! After the interviews, I was invited to hang out in New York for the weekend, but I had to turn down my friends. Between the lack of funds resulting from the Vegas trip and lack of sleep resulting from the 5 plane rides I had been on in 3 days, logic told me not to stay in New York and party.

I got on a train from Penn Station at 5pm on Friday, slept the whole way back to Virginia, and crashed again at my parents' house. I slept all day Saturday, then woke up and drove back to Richmond because I had to work a shift at my part-time job on Sunday morning. Luckily, there wasn't much going on at my part-time job on that particular Sunday, so let's just say I rested my eyes at my desk for a while.

Besides learning how to be articulate on no sleep (an area in which the Adcenter had trained me well), I also learned something that most traveling businessmen know very well: different airlines play the same crappy movies! Even though I flew on Delta one day, American the next, and back to Delta the next, I had to sit through the same movie 3 times!!

The name of that movie: Wild Hogs, starring Tim Allen, John Travolta, William H. Macy, and Martin Lawrence. My own personal hell. But at least it was a movie that was easy to sleep through.

3 comments:

F.C.G said...

You need to write on here more often. Your blog entertains me...especially when it references you being dressed in my little pony purple!!


-Fitz

Frank said...

haha thanks, I'm actually in the process of catching up with my blog entries. I try to blog once a week, but the craziness of moving to NYC slowed that down a bunch. But I know what I'm going to write about for each week, so look for more entries soon!

Thanks for reading!

-Frank

Frank said...

haha thanks, I'm actually in the process of catching up with my blog entries. I try to blog once a week, but the craziness of moving to NYC slowed that down a bunch. But I know what I'm going to write about for each week, so look for more entries soon!

Thanks for reading!

-Frank